Monday, January 20, 2014

October 23rd, Bratislava, and touristy things

"Gitta said not to go to protests"

Ahh the weekend of October 23rd in Budapest... October 23rd is a national holiday in Budapest that marks the start of the Hungarian Revolution back in the 1960's. Luckily I know so much about this holiday, because of my history classes I have been taking (yeah that's right I actually am taking classes)! Anyways since it was a national holiday we got off class on Wednesday making it a very very long weekend. Most people went on trips this weekend and there was only a select number of us who stayed for the weekend.

I was one of the people who didn't go anywhere this weekend so we decided to join in the celebrations of the holiday and go to the parade. Now our program advisor, Gitta, told us that we should avoid the parade's on October 23rd because people could get pretty rowdy. Well the parade turned out to just be a peaceful walk to honor those who fought in the protest. Claudia, Therese, Chris, and I went to it and after went to the House of Terror. There was no crazy protests...

Since we were around for the weekend we decided to be tourist yet again. We went on a free walking tour of the city and got to see a bunch of stuff around Budapest that I hadn't seen since the first few weeks here. It was really fun to walk around the city, because we had been traveling so much lately we haven't spent a lot of time in Budapest. We visited Fisherman's Bastion again and it is like a sandcastle! I didn't realize how cool this place was, but I'm glad I got another chance to go and see it.

Now since it was just a few of us here this weekend, Therese wanted to take a day trip to Romania or Slovakia to go hiking... Therese, love her to death, is not the most practical planner. She wanted us to somehow take a train to Romania to go hiking in the Carpathian mountains. As we were planning this random day trip for the weekend, I had been thinking of getting my hair cut. I've been thinking of cutting my hair short for awhile now and decided to just go for it and cut it off. Therese and I checked out a great place by St. Stephen's Basilica, made an appointment, and cut my hair off later that day. Here is the final results...








Next morning we ended up taking a day trip to Bratislava, Slovakia. The whole Romania thing clearly didn't work out, but we just wanted to go somewhere for the day and it was a 3 hour train ride to Bratislava. Initially arriving in Bratislava was like arriving in the middle of a zombie Apocalypse. There was no one around!! Regardless of the lack of people we still went hiking and enjoyed ourselves during the day. Bratislava is pretty much a tiny version of Prague, we pretty much saw the whole city in a day.


The weekend was full of weird and random moments that I have come to cherish throughout this trip. We lived through the protests of October 23rd, day tripped to Bratislava, and I lost a couple inches off my hair. All in all it was a fun weekend and I look forward to more randomness in the future, it's fun to not have to plan for a change. Until next time... Szia!!

No comments:

Post a Comment